Rivers State Governor, Nyesom Ezenwo Wike, has summoned the contractor and officials of the state Ministry of Health to explain the reason for the slow pace of work at the Mother and Child Hospital, Port Harcourt.
The governor also approved the sacking of the Caretaker Committee Chairmen of Port Harcourt City Local Government Area, Obio/Akpor Local Government Area and Ikwerre Local Government Area for allegedly collecting illegal revenues from companies.
A statement by Simeon Nwakaudu, special assistant to the Rivers State Governor on Electronic Media, noted that the sack of the three caretaker committee chairmen takes immediate effect.
Speaking after project inspection Saturday, Wike said that the percentage of work done is not commensurate with the funds released so far for the project.
He pointed out that the state government had to cancel the partnership with the Niger Delta Development Commission (NDDC) on the project because they failed to pay their counterpart funds after receiving N400 million from the Rivers State government.
“As I speak with you, we have released the final tranche of payment for the completion of the project. We expect that work should have gone beyond this level of completion.
“We have also released 70 per cent of funds for the purchase of equipment for the Mother and Child Hospital. The project will be delivered as part of the third-year anniversary of this administration,” he said.
The governor also visited the sites for the construction of the cinema and restaurants at the Port Harcourt Pleasure Park and the judges’ quarters in Port Harcourt.
He charged the contractor at the site of the cinema and chain of restaurants to expedite action to ensure that the work is completed by May.
He said that no project will be abandoned, pointing out that the state government will use the dry season maximally.
The governor was accompanied on the inspection by Chief Hanny Woko, a member of the Rivers State Senior Secondary School Board.
Original post by https://orientdailynews.com.ng/south-south/wike-summons-contractor-ministry-officials/